What is It?
Prospector is a web-based content management system with added
features that allow users to collect,
analyze, view and share large volumes of data.
With Prospector, users can create rich, customized web content; incorporating
data, charts and other dynamic displays, updated on demand.
SourceForge Project Page
What does it do?
- It automatically communicates with remote systems and web-based sources to import new data;
- It validates new data and stores it on one or more data warehouse servers;
- It provides spreadsheet-like analysis tools;
- It displays data in a variety of innovative, customizable graphical and tabular formats;
- It inserts data and graphic displays into customizable web pages. Displays are updated on demand as new data becomes available;
- It allows each user to customize the way their content is orgamized and formatted;
- It can serve multiple intranets from a single installation.
It's like a spreadsheet, plus...
- It validates new data and can send email messages when validation rules are broken;
- It is web-based; giving users immediate access to information updates;
- Granular security allows administrators to control the information each user can see;
- It places no practical limit on the number of rows in a stored data set. The range of data being analyzed and displayed in tables and charts is infinitely adjustable, making it easy to pan and zoom;
- Data from individual columns can be split into different time periods to be overlaid in charts and tables;
- Tables, charts, graphics and text can be assembled into online reports. Reports can contain multiple instances of a given chart or table; each covering a different range of data;
- User-customizable menus make it easy to organize and find information;
- It permits the use of custom HTML pages for site navigation or documentation. E.g.: campus maps, floor plans, system schematics, user guides, etc.
- As an Energy Management Information System (EMIS) that monitors energy use and related data in facilities;
- To combinine data from multiple systems using different protocols, e.g.: accounting, digital controls/SCADA, text files, remote databases, RSS feeds and more;
- Any situation requiring the ability to collect, analyze, view and share large volumes of data.
April 23, 2009
I'm now readying a copy of Prospector DMS to run on this server.
Check back soon to try it out!